Espinho

Espinho region has archaeological vestiges stating that once an hill fort existed in the area, named “Castro de Orvil”, relating this region to ancient human occupation. Nevertheless, the origins of the Espinho town are from a group of fishermen from a nearby village that established in Espinho due to the fish abundance, namely the sardine, and started to spend some nights in the area, starting to build improvised wooden houses.
In the 19th century, Espinho transformed itself into a tourist destination, in a period when people were strongly advised to bathe in the sea because of its healing properties, and also because of the development provided by the construction of the railway, in 1870. From this period it is still possible to observe the colourful houses, with long balconies all over the Espinho coast.
Nowadays Espinho is a quite cosmopolitan town, with a famous coastline and an interesting heritage, and a developing Tourist industry.
Worth the visit are the Matriz Church and the Nossa Senhora da Ajuda Chapel, the typical place where the fishing boats are unload after an all day of fishing in the ocean (“lota”) and the fish is sold, and the traditional Espinho Fair, every Monday.
Espinho also offers a Casino, a Spa with Hydro-massage baths, a Seawater swimming pool and Seaweed treatments, and also the most ancient golf course in the country, founded by British citizens, and also a wide range of restaurants and hotel accommodation.

Reservations with the best rates
N 41º 0' 24.07'' , W 8º 38' 37.35''

Login for free on our Site

Access to exclusive content, reviews, sharing events, photos, creating guides ....

Comments