Classified as a National Monument since 1910, the São Jorge Castle rises up on one of the highest hills in Lisboa, and has been since early times a place occupied by Men. The first construction known in this site dates back from the 2nd century b. C..
Archaeological intervention and researches registered occupancy testimonies since, at the very least, the 6th century b. C.. Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans and Moors passed through this site.
The Castle received important conservation and improvement interventions in the 1940’s and on the end of the 1990’s, which endowed the monument, nowadays one of the greatest highlights and most visited places in the beautiful Lisboa town.
The São Jorge Castle offers its visitors beautiful gardens and viewpoints from where one can observe the town in all its splendour, also a multimedia show (Olisipónia), a dark camera (Ulisses Tower - a 360º journey over Lisboa), an exhibition area, a meeting room (Casa do Governador) and a thematic shop.