Bombarral is a peaceful agricultural village situated in the Central region of the Country, in an area of fertile soils where the famous and much appreciated Bombarral wine is produced, along with a large variety of fresh fruits.
The region has inhabited by men since remote periods, and throughout the region there are several pre-historical vestiges like the Hill Forts of São Mamede and Carvalhal or the Nova, Lapa do Suão and Pulga Grottoes.
In 1153 these lands were donated to the Monks of the Saint Bernard Order that influenced all the region with their agricultural knowledge and development.
This agricultural village presents a lovely architectonic heritage, with monuments like the modern Mother Church dated from 1953, the São Braz Chapel or the lovely Madre Deus Chapel dated from the 16th century.
Throughout the region there are several Manor Houses from the many agricultural producers and influent people from the village, like the Henriques Ancient Palaca, nowadays the Town Hall building, the Grojão Palace from the 16th century where the Tourist office is situated as well as the Municipal Museum, the Loridos Solar or even the Mellos Solar.
Another important building in the village is the Train Station that for many years was an important development tool for the region, transporting the fresh products produced in the region. This lovely train station presents interesting glazed tiles panels from the 1930’s, with rural scenes, namely the very important local wine production.
Bombarral also presents the Municipal Garden and Woods, with astonishing landscapes. In fact since the 15th century, Portuguese Royalty choose Bombarral for leisure moments, and had here a Palace with the Royal Woods, perfect for hunting and with healthy countryside atmosphere.